The myriad of skills, experiences and contributions of Practitioner Psychologists:

Welcome everyone to our next installment celebrating the diverse pathways and experiences of Practitioner Psychologists. This entry retells the journey of Dr Daisy Best, sharing her interest in research, writing, work with wide ranging clinical groups and the experience of working in both the NHS and private practice. Practitioner Psychologists often build new pathways, and create a foundation for others to follow in their wake. This is very true for Dr Daisy Best, and we hope you will find reading about her journey inspiring.



Dr Daisy Best PGCLTHE, PGDip (Couns), BSc (Hons), QCoP, DPsych, C.Psychol, SFHEA, AFBPsS

BPS Chartered and HCPC Registered Counselling Psychologist

Director of North Yorkshire Psychological Therapies Ltd

Linked In:  @DrDaisyBest

Twitter: @nyptherapies

Born and raised in the North East of England, I left to attend university in Liverpool where I gained my Applied Psychology degree before remaining in Liverpool to work in the NHS as a Care Assistant and then as an Assistant Psychologist for adults with learning disabilities.

I had planned to apply for Clinical Psychology (though didn’t ever apply) because, like many undergraduates, I wasn’t aware of Counselling Psychology until one of the Psychologists in my team suggested I consider it as it aligned so well with my own philosophy.  I looked into it and knew it was right for me because of the humanistic framework, self-reflection via personal therapy and emphasis upon equality and diversity.

I embarked upon the BPS Qualification in Counselling Psychology (QCoP) and during this time, continued to work within the learning disabilities NHS team.  My manager allowed me to take some time from the service to work in a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service and a Primary Care Service (in a GP service) to gain clinical hours for my training. I also worked with adults who are HIV / AIDS positive for a voluntary organisation. 

After 5 years (I really loved working there!) I left the Assistant Psychologist role and established a service as part of an NHS crisis team to assess the mental health of homeless adults and to provide therapeutic support.  I also delivered training to hostel workers in mental health awareness and risk assessment. Working with the homeless led me to develop my interest in the field of drug and alcohol addiction, leading me to return to the North East to work for four years with clients with alcohol problems.

After 8 years of studying (and some procrastinating!) I qualified as a Counselling Psychologist in 2008 and completed a (top-up) Doctorate in Psychology in 2015. After qualifying, I worked for five years, part-time within a local NHS Trust based within a Musculoskeletal service, with adults who had chronic back pain. Within this role, I worked with patients on a 1:1 and in group settings to support them to manage their pain. I also managed and supervised other psychologists within the department and as Acting Deputy Head of the department for 12 months, was involved in strategic developments within the Trust as part of my role.

In addition to my NHS work, I worked part-time (eventually moving to full time) at Teesside University. For two years, I was the Programme Director on the Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at Teesside University. I also worked as a Senior / Principal Lecturer on the programme for 12 years, leaving in December 2020.  During this time, I taught on various modules and provided research supervision for over 25 students to completion of their Doctorate.  I have published research into women’s experiences of intimate partner violence and was awarded a BPS Division of Counselling Psychology grant, to undertake a study into mid-life to older men’s experiences of intimate partner violence which we are hoping to publish soon.

I have been the Director of North Yorkshire Psychological Therapies since 2015 and provide psychological assessment and therapy for children, young people, adults and older adults.  I moved into this role full time in December 2020. I have clinical expertise in trauma, having been trained in EMDR, as well as mood / anxiety disorders and chronic conditions. I also work as an expert witness, carrying out assessments for family and civil law cases. 

I have been both the Honorary Secretary and the Training Lead for the Division of Counselling Psychology (DCoP, British Psychological Society) in the past. Both roles gave me an excellent insight into the hard work and dedication of the DCoP Committee and an understanding of the strategic roles the committee plays.  This involvement also enabled me to meet many Counselling Psychologists from across the UK and beyond.

I have worked with colleagues to edit a book with contributions from Counselling Psychologists who have provided some fascinating chapters on the work that they do.  The book is entitled ‘Roles and Contexts in Counselling Psychology: Professionals in practice’ and was published by Routledge in May 2022 Roles and Contexts in Counselling Psychology: Professionals in Practic (routledge.com). I have also worked with a film-maker to produce and direct a film for the BPS which is available on YouTube entitled ‘Why Counselling Psychology?’ 


which to date has had over 50,000 views Why Counselling Psychology? - Bing video.  The book and film are designed to help inform others of what Counselling Psychology is, what we do and how we do it.  I am very passionate about our profession and believe it is our duty to promote what we as Counselling Psychologists do so well.

I am so happy doing what I do right now that I don’t have any big plans to change what I do in the future.  I would certainly like to continue to engage in research and develop my knowledge of trauma further but I am so grateful and privileged to be able to work with such a diverse and courageous client group that I can’t see myself every working anywhere else.

I live in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park with my Wife and scruffy cat, Chipolata.  I engage in yoga, paddle boarding, cycling, running and hikes on the moors for self-care.  However, please don’t be under any illusion, I also love nights in the local pub with good friends / family and will rarely refuse a tasty vegan cake!

Publications:

Best, D (2019) The Challenges of Authenticity; Leadership as a Lesbian (Chapter 11). In Leadership and Diversity in Psychology:  Moving Beyond the Limits. Routledge.

Best, D., Van Wersch, A. & Carthy, N. (2020) ‘It’s like drowning and you can’t get out’; the influence of intimate partner violence on women with chronic low back pain. The European Journal of Counselling Psychology, 9 (1), 7-16.

Best, D., Nicholas, H. & Bradley, M. (2022) Roles and Contexts in Counselling Psychology:  Professionals in Practice. Routledge.

Carthy N.L., Best, D., Heckels, V., Eberhardt, J. & Weber, L. (2022) Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms Among Midlife to Older Female Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy.

We Hope reading about Dr Daisy has given you lots of food for thought, to perhaps answer some of your questions, or inspire a journey of your own. Please take a look at the resources within this blog entry, for further information about this particular field of Practitioner Psychology.

We invite you to get in touch with any questions or queries, and to also share your journey!

Kind regards, 

The Pathways Team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Haesler- becoming a Counselling Psychologist

The role of faith and perseverance: becoming an Educational- and Child Psychologist

Working as a Sport and Exercise Psychologist: a career filled with creativity and flexibility